Arabica beans from from Lake Kivu, Rwanda.
- Roast: split – light, dark
- Intensity: 6/13
- Flavor: fruity
- Content: 5 grams of roast and ground coffee.
- Beverages: espresso (1.35 oz), lungo (3.70 oz)
- Brand: Nespresso
- Price: $0.80 per capsule
- Order: Buy Nespresso’s Umutima Wa capsules here ->
- Nespresso machines on sale
Released jointly with Tanim de Chiapas, Nespresso’s first 2016 limited edition doesn’t disappoint. What makes this coffee stand out is its split roast which offers a very subtle experience: you first get a slightly liquorice sensation with a fruity flavor quickly piercing through the dark texture. Then comes a soft, salty aftertaste which lasts for a while – it should also be said that unlike most espressos, this one doesn’t rely on bitterness.
- Activities: While it is strong enough to wake you up, Umutima Wa Lake Kivu Rwanda is more suitable for a coffee moment so that you can fully appreciate its flavors.
- Music: Rihanna’s excellent latest album Anti is a perfect soundtrack for a Nespresso moment sipping Umutima.
- Food: I paired it with navettes from Marseille, France. For those not familiar with navettes, these are some orange flower water flavored biscotti-types which get back to 1781. As you probably figured it out, the orange flower taste finely matches the coffee’s fruitness while the navette’s crispiness contrasts with Umutima’s texture.
As it’s always the case with limited edition coffees, Nespresso created a fancy design to accompany its new release. The faded brown and green box features stylized green and yellow flowers and includes 10 beautiful green capsules, which are sure to make an impression on your capsule holder.